Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Irish in Quebec city, Canada

My research on my own Carroll lines being slow at this time, I prefer to share with everyone a Historical finding.During a vacation trip in September to Quebec city, my husband & I had an interesting find.

We had the "luck of the Irish" to stumble upon the former Irish quarter in Quebec city. The area happens to possess some fascinating historical signs that we photographed.Also, a church and other commemorative markers.

Lets take our time to discover this.

Do click on each photo ! You will be able to read the print and appreciate the detail better. :

1) Irish roots in Quebec :




This recounts briefly the beginnings of Irish immigration to Quebec, and also about Irish institutions. There is also an excellent map, with important sites marked so anyone can find them today.


2) The Irish settle and Flourish :



Short topics on the percentage of Quebec residents having Irish blood, The Shipfront jobs & Irish and prominent Canadians with Irish blood.



We found a beautiful Celtic cross...





It is a gift from James Callery and the National Famine Museum In Roscommon, Ireland.




Saint Patrick's church.






Plaque dedicated to the Irish ( French version)



Same plaque with Irish Gaelic ( left) and English translations.

Finding these wonderful lanmarks comforts me in the path that will lead me to go to Ireland next year. I'm getting closer each day to my goal.

Happy hunting
everyone !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Michelle from Ca, My mother is born in PA as Dierdre Lynn Stone. I am looking to see if I can find my moms sister to find out our history.

Barbara said...

Hi Michelle,

I don't have an e mail to answer you personally. I would have been able to advise you better. If you happen to be reading this please drop a line to barb92(at)gmail(dot)com.