Thursday, April 17, 2008

April 17- Poem in your pocket day


I was called upon by my friend Lisa, of the Small Leaved Shamrock, to do a Poetry challenge. April 17 is Poem in your pocket day.

The idea is to choose a poem and share it with those around you.

You can find the Poem in your pocket website here .

Since my genealogy seems to be on a "stand-by" mode, and my awaiting my next snail mail requests, I can afford myself a poetry pause.

My choice of the following poem is a classic American poem by Robert Frost.It's probably not the most original choice, but it is a poem that I have loved since college.

It's a great philosophy on life itself and about the courage to make different choices.


Enjoy.



Robert Frost - The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


Have a nice day.

2 comments:

Lori Thornton said...

There's no doubt about it--Frost is my favorite poem and that is my favorite poem. I just had already blogged it so I felt I needed to do something different!

barbara said...

Hi Lori,
It's nice to hear from fellow genealogists.
Glad to see that Robert Frost has so many friends ;)
Happy hunting with your genealogy.