Sunday, October 21, 2007

Our Chicago based Carrolls



When I was a young girl, my Dad ( John Bernard Carroll Jr), used to tell stories about our family.Besides the usual tales about being descendants of kings ( that I can't guarantee !),there have been a few that were more authentic. Among these, my father used to say that we also had kin in Chicago. He mentionned an "uncle" who moved to Chicago.

It turns out that my father was not very far from the truth on this one.

Thanks to the help of my Cousin Gerry and her Uncle Ed, than a recent finding by my friend, Rita Bianchetto,we know that several members of our family left Schuylkill County PA to live in in Chicago.There could be a potentially large branch of the Carrolls in Chicago and the rest of Illinois.

The following are two sons of Andrew Carroll and Catherine Burke who left Schuylkill County to settle in Illinois.

1) Name: James J. Carroll
Born: 1858
Died: 1939 in: Chicago, IL
Married: Date unknown.
Spouse: Jennie (wife of James Carroll)

This is the link here to a previous post that I published about the children and grandchildren of Andrew carroll & Cathrine Burke .

Children of James J Carroll & Jennie :

Andrew Carroll. Chicago Police Officer.
Jean ( Jennie ) Carroll. She was wife of Bernie Borg, of B.B.B. Advertising of NYC).
Robert Carroll.Died at 6 months of age.

I'am lacking further information on the children of James & Jennie.
This is the famous "Big Jim" Carroll that was pro-Molly McGuire. He left Schuylkill County PA, possibly fearing for himself and his family, after the arrestations for various murders after 1875;

I went through the SSDI ( Social Security Death
Index) on the excellent website Family Search. This link is on my sidebar.
There were 4
Andrew Carrolls in Illonois on the SSDI :

1) Andrew "KAROL"
Birthdate : 6 June 1890
Death Date: Apr 1975
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Illinois

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 60091
Localities: Wilmette, Cook, Illinois

2) Andrew CARROLL
Birth Date: 26 Sep 1897
Death Date: May 1977
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Illinois

Death Benefit Localities
Zip Code: 46947
Localities: Logansport, Cass, Indiana

3)Andrew CARROLL
Birth Date: 25 Jun 1885
Death Date: Dec 1963
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Railroad Board
Actual Death Residence: Illinois

Note: This one seems unlikely because of the occupation .

4) The last Andrew CARROLL was born later ( 5 Jul 1911-18 Mar 1997)
Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 60464
Localities: Palos Park, Cook, Illinois

I found a Jean Borg :
Birth Date: 16 Mar 1888
Death Date: Apr 1963
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Illinois

Actual Death Residence: Illinois


********************************************


2) Name: Martin Carroll
Born: 1868 in: Lost Creek, PA
Died: 1940
Married:
24 December, 1892, Chicago, Cook County, IL Spouse: Ellen Conroy

On the marriage certificate, there is listed that Martin was 25 years old, and Ellen was 20 years old at the time of their marriage.
Certified by Henry Wulff, the Clerk of Court of Cook County.Date of marriage the 24 December, 1892. Certificate dated, 25 December, 1892.
Religious ceremony performed by John.M. Dunne, Rector-Church of the Blessed Sacrament.

My friend, Rita, had recently e-mailed to me a copy of Martin & Ellen's mariage certificate. Thank you again Rita !

Children of Martin Carroll & Ellen Conroy :

Martin Carroll, born 1890 in Philadelphia, Pa; died 1910.
James Patrick Carroll, 1893; died 1985. He married Josephine Kouba .
Marie Carroll, 1897; died 1993. She married Edward Finnegan

I have a few questions about the date of birth of the first child, Martin.If the 1890 date was correct, could the couple been living together before thier marriage? I'am also lacking information on the surviving children,James Patrick and Marie.

As for James Patrick Carroll, I know that this: 

Birthdate: September 11, 1893, Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States.
Married: Josephine Kouba on July 3, 1919, Chicago, Cook Co,IL. This was seen on Family Search.
Death date: March 6, 1985.

I still have to put my fingers on my other sources for this ancestor ( without a doubt, lost in my papers/DVDs!)


Josephine Kouba was found on Family Search. I have the following information for her:( souce: State of Illinois Certificate of Death):

Birth Date :
February 12, 1895, in  Austria.
Death Date: September 22, 1945 in  Proviso Township, IL, USA Burial at Mont Carmel Cemetery.
 

Also very interesting, an EXACT match for Marie Finnegan :
Birth Date :18 Apr 1897
Death Date: Dec 1993
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Illinois

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 60137
Localities: Glen Ellyn, Du Page, Illinois

Then of course, we cannot forget the mother to James J Carroll & Martin Carroll;
Catherine Burke. She moved to Chicago towards 1899-1900. She lived there 3 years before passing away in Chicago on April 3, 1904;
I presume that she lived with either James or Martin and their familes.

This is just the start on this research.Seeing that the dates of death are incomplete( they list just the month & year; the day is missing), for those Carrolls that I listed above, I cannot ask a volunteer genealogist to help me. They require a complete date of death to work with newspapers. Old newspapers or microfilms of them, often provide obituaries. Often, they are a precious source of information on names of family members.
However, I can ask a Genealogy volunteer to search for a possible obit for Catherine Burke, in the old Chicago newspapers. She passed away the 3 April, 1904. With a little bit of luck, we could have other information on the family.

I will get started on that.

Have a nice day and Happy hunting to all.

P.S. A big Hello to members of my Carroll family in Pennsylvania, and throughout the neighboring states.Thank you Gerry, for passing the word among the family about this blog .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barbara,
I just love checking in on your blog. You do such a great job.
Cousin Gerry

barbara said...

Hi Gerry,
Thank you so much for your encouragement ;)
I'am so glad that you and your family enjoys the blog. This is to our family's story, and I hope that it makes a difference to have it presented on line.

Have a great day.